1. When must I renew my FA licences?
• When must I renew my FA licences?
Birthday Renewal period
01 January to 31 March 01 Jan 2005 extended to 31 Mar 2006
01 April to 30 June 01 Jan 2006 to 31 Dec 2006
01 July to 30 September 01 Jan 2007 to 31 Dec 2007
01 October to 31 December 01 Jan 2005 to 31 Dec 2008
• How does the FAC affect me if this is my first firearm or first application for a specific type of firearm, ei Handgun, shotgun, rifle?
You have to successfully complete a competency course + receive a SASSETA Achievement Certificate, which you submit to the SAP, the SAP in turn will issue you with a competency certificate
• Why must I have a competency certificate?
The SAP will not issue you with
a licence unless you have a competency
• For how long is this certificate valid?
Certificate valid for 5 years
• How many guns may I own?
This is not a simple answer, of which the details are specified in chapter 6
Basically - a maximum of 4,of which only 1 may be for self defence either a handgun which is not fully automatic
or a shotgun, which is not fully, or semi-automatic
3 others, as long as none are fully automatic
• How much ammunition may I have?
Not more than 200 rounds of ammunition per valid firearm license, provided your firearm is able to fire the specific type of ammunition.
• Can my wife use my guns?
1. Yes, read section 12 of chapter 6
registrar may issue an additional licence in respect of every person who
2. Yes - Without a licence, on shooting range, under licence holders supervision
The firearm is deemed to have been “used” once it has been pointed or directed at another person or property.